Opening of the Delaware STEM Academy Charter High School
- Fall 2017 for grades 9th and 10th with grades 11 and 12 to follow
- Location – 109 Lukens Drive in New Castle
- Currently enrolling students through June 15th for 2016/2017 school year
- Attend our open house events on April 23 & 30th
- Check out our website at destemacademy.org for more information
What makes the DE STEM Academy (DSA) Different?
- DSA will prepare students in grades 9-12 for the future economy through teaching of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Students will learn through 3 academic pathways: Engineering, Environmental Science and Bioscience
- DSA fosters an ethically driven education emphasizing intellectual curiosity, individual responsibilities and environmental stewardship
Why choose DSA?
- Demand for professionals in STEM related fields such as agriculture, energy, construction, health care, educators, computers, all areas of science and engineering is projected to outpace the supply in the next 10 years
- STEM jobs are growing at a rate of 1.7 times faster than non-STEM jobs
- STEM related jobs earn on average 26% more income
- Currently there are 3 STEM related jobs for every STEM trained employee in Delaware
How will students learn?
- DSA will utilize the New Tech Network (NTN) project based learning instructional approach which has been in use for 20 years
- Project based learning creates an educational culture that empowers students and teachers to use real world projects, integrates technology throughout the curriculum while learning 21st century skills of collaboration, team building and effective communications
- Hands-on demonstration learning in small peer group settings
- Partnering with business and industry professionals to enhance the project based learning experience
Who are our students?
- Any Delaware high school age student is eligible to enroll
- There are no preference criteria nor examinations for placements – DSA is an educational opportunity for everyone!
- Students who are interested in a well-rounded high school experience including athletics, drama, foreign languages, music and the arts
- Students who are interested in going on to college, vocational or technical employment will benefit from the STEM project based learning approach
What other things do we offer?
- We provide free transportation to all students
- Each student receives a laptop for school and take home use
- We provide sports programs, including basketball, soccer, cross country and volleyball
- We provide breakfast and lunch programs
- A school nurse and wellness programs are located on site
- The school will include 60,000 square feet of space with generous classrooms and laboratories