The following steps will help you run a successful Reflections program. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Alvarez, Delaware PTA President (Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org).
All Participants (schools or individuals) should contact Julie Alvarez to be put on distribution list for Delaware PTA Reflection updates (Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org).
Delaware PTA is currently seeking a Reflections Chair, or individuals interested in joining the Reflections Committee, at the state level. If interested, please contact Julie Alvarez at email@example.com
November 20, 2020: 2022-2023 Theme Search Contest entries are due. Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59ET on TBD for consideration.
December 31.2020: Deadline to register for Reflections to be included in state program
January 15, 2021: Up to 5 entries in every art category and grade division at local PTA/VIP Unit level are due in the state portal. Contact Julie Alvarez at Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org with questions.
Week of February 22, 2021: State Winners announced.
If you wish to participate as an individual (independent of a PTA), skip to Step 7 under 2020-2021 Reflections Contest ‘I Matter Because…’.
Reflections program consists of two parts
1). Search for a future Reflections theme (see 2022-2023 Reflections Theme Search Contest)
2). Submit art entries in one or more categories using the current year’s theme, ‘I Matter Because…’ (See 2020-2021 Reflections Contest ‘I Matter Because…‘.
2022-2023 Reflections Theme Search Contest
The search is on for the future National PTA Reflections theme!
One exceptional concept may be chosen to inspire thousands of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to create original works of art in dance, film, literature, music, photography and visual arts.
Delaware PTA may submit up to 5 entries for review by National PTA. Past themes are not considered.
The National PTA Theme Search Contest Winner receives $100 and recognition at the Annual National PTA Convention.
Submissions must be made via email to Julie Alvarez at Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org. They must be received by 11:59pm ET November 24, 2020 (NO EXCEPTIONS). Local PTA units should establish due dates prior to Delaware PTA’s date.
Theme search contest is only open to students who attend a school with an active PTA.
2020-2021 Reflections Contest ‘I Matter Because…’
Delaware PTA’s Reflections program is open to all students in the Delaware, regardless of whether they attend a school with an active PTA or not. The steps below outline how to run a school-wide program. It can be used by PTA and non-PTA schools. Non-PTA schools and individual participants should also review Step 7 – Non-PTA Participation/Individual Participation rules.
Step 1: Start the Arts
Walk through a step-by-step process for engaging students, parents and educators in Reflections while learning about resources and tools provided by Delaware PTA and National PTA.
- Register for participation by December 31, 2020 to be included in the state program https://www.pta.org/home/programs/reflections (click Register with National PTA on the Right side)
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Review the Reflections 2020-2021 Local Leaders Guide/ Reflections 2020-2021 Local Leaders Guide Spanish
- Customize your Leaders Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines (also included in leader’s guide).
Step 3: Promoting Reflections
Share announcements widely using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Check out the National PTA’s Reflections page for posters, logos, signs and other resources to use in promoting the reflections program.
- Distribute the 2020-21 Student Entry Form & Rules (PTA Schools Only)
- Reflections 2020-21 Students Packet (To be uploaded)
- Reflections 2020-21 Students Packet Spanish (To be uploaded)
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
First, check-in entries and review artwork for qualification. Organize entries by division and category, then assign them to a judge.
- Welcome judges with a copy of program rules and score card (Reflections 2020-21 Judges Instructions – to be uploaded). Instruct judges to follow the guidelines spelled out in the program rubric when scoring entries.
- Ensure judges review the student’s artwork title and artist statement included on the student’s entry form, but do not reveal the student’s name.
- Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
- Submit school winners (up to 5 entries in every art category and grade division) online via the National PTA student entry portal by due date (11:59pm ET Friday, January 15, 2021)
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Start with the Celebrate Guidelines to help plan your event.
- Share the Media Advisory and Press Release with local media.
- Present the Student Certificate and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about National Awards opportunities. State winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony to be held at a date/time TBD.
Step 6: Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers .
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
Step 7: Non-PTA Participation/Individual Participation
Additional requirements are needed for those who are not participating via a local, active PTA unit. Please review these requirements for complete details. Some highlights are:
- Students who wish to participate who do not attend a school with a PTA that is in good standing, will need to join Delaware PTA as a VIP member. Cost is $10. A parent may join in place of the student. Parents only need to join once if more than one student wishes to participate.
- Students who attend a school that has a PTA that is in good standing, but not running the Reflections program will not need to join Delaware PTA.
- Reflections Non-PTA Requirements
- Reflections 2020-21 VIP Students Packet (to be uploaded)
- Become a VIP Member
Any questions – please contact Delaware PTA President, Julie Alvarez (email@example.com).