The following steps will help you run a successful Reflections program. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Alvarez, Delaware PTA President (Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org).
All Participants (schools or individuals) should contact Julie Alvarez to be put on distribution list for Delaware PTA Reflection updates (Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org).
Delaware PTA is currently seeking a Reflections Chair, or individuals interested in joining the Reflections Committee, at the state level. If interested, please contact Julie Alvarez at firstname.lastname@example.org
November 22, 2019: 2021-2022 Theme Search Contest entries are due. Contact Julie Alvarez at Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org to arrange delivery.
December 31.2019: Deadline to register for Reflections to be included in state program
January 24, 2020: Up to 5 entries in every art category and grade division at local PTA/VIP Unit level are due. Contact Julie Alvarez at Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org to arrange delivery.
Week of February 24, 2020: State Winners announced
If you wish to participate as an individual (independent of a PTA), skip to Step 7 under 2019-2020 Reflections Contest ‘Look Within’.
Reflections program consists of two parts
1). Search for a future Reflections theme (see 2021-2022 Reflections Theme Search Contest)
2). Submit art entries in one or more categories using the current year’s theme, ‘Look Within’ (See 2019-2020 Reflections Contest ‘Look Within‘.
2021-2022 Reflections Theme Search Contest
The search is on for the future National PTA Reflections theme!
One exceptional concept may be chosen to inspire thousands of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to create original works of art in dance, film, literature, music, photography and visual arts.
Delaware PTA may submit up to 5 entries for review by National PTA. Past themes are not considered.
The National PTA Theme Search Contest Winner receives $100 and recognition at the Annual National PTA Convention.
Submissions must be made via email to Julie Alvarez at Julie.Alvarez@delawarepta.org. They must be received by November 22, 2019 (NO EXCEPTIONS). Local PTA units should establish due dates prior to Delaware PTA’s date.
Theme search contest is only open to students who attend a school with an active PTA.
WATCH THE NATIONAL PTA VIDEO TO GET INSPIRED!!! 2019-2020 Reflections Call for Entries
2019-2020 Reflections Contest ‘Look Within’
Delaware PTA’s Reflections program is open to all students in the Delaware, regardless of whether they attend a school with an active PTA or not. The steps below outline how to run a school-wide program. It can be used by PTA and non-PTA schools. Non-PTA schools and individual participants should also review Step 7 – Non-PTA Participation/Individual Participation rules.
Step 1: Start the Arts
Walk through a step-by-step process for engaging students, parents and educators in Reflections while learning about resources and tools provided by Delaware PTA and National PTA.
- Watch the Delaware PTA Reflections Webinar from 2016-17 (no significant changes for 2019-20) DPTA Reflections Training 16-17
- Review preliminary Delaware PTA 2018-19 Training Powerpoint Presentation 2019-2020-reflections-training-DE
- Register for participation by December 31, 2019 to be included in the state program https://www.pta.org/home/programs/reflections (click Register with National PTA on the Right side)
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Review the Reflections 2019-2020 Local Leaders Guide/ Reflections 2019-2020 Local Leaders Guide Spanish
- Customize your Leaders Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines (also included in leader’s guide).
- Consider using the Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests (also included in leader’s guide).
Step 3: Promoting Reflections
Share announcements widely using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Check out the National PTA’s Reflections page for posters, logos, signs and other resources to use in promoting the reflections program.
- Distribute the 2019-20 Student Entry Form & Rules (PTA Schools Only)
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
First, check-in entries and review artwork for qualification. Organize entries by division and category, then assign them to a judge.
- Welcome judges with a copy of program rules and score card (Reflections 2019-20 Judges Instructions). Instruct judges to follow the guidelines spelled out in the program rubric when scoring entries.
- Ensure judges review the student’s artwork title and artist statement included on the student’s entry form, but do not reveal the student’s name.
- Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
- Submit school winners (up to 5 entries in every art category and grade division) online by due date (January 24, 2020)
- Visual Arts will be dropped off during the week ending January 24, 2020 for judging in person (Photographs of visual arts must be uploaded prior to dropoff). The DPTA Reflections Visual Arts Submission Form form should be included with the visual arts at drop off. Drop Off Dates/Times/Locations TBD.
- For guidance for online submissions, review 17-18 Reflections Guide for Online Submissions. (if procedures change from 2017-18, this link will be updated)
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Start with the Celebrate Guidelines to help plan your event.
- Share the Media Advisory and Press Release with local media.
- Present the Student Certificate and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about National Awards opportunities. State winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony to be held at a date/time TBD.
Step 6: Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
- Report participation in the Reflections program by January 24th. This can be done online (see above for online instructions – Step 4)
Step 7: Non-PTA Participation/Individual Participation
Additional requirements are needed for those who are not participating via a local, active PTA unit. Please review these requirements for complete details. Some highlights are:
- Students who wish to participate who do not attend a school with a PTA that is in good standing, will need to join Delaware PTA as a VIP member. Cost is $10. A parent may join in place of the student. Parents only need to join once if more than one student wishes to participate.
- Students who attend a school that has a PTA that is in good standing, but not running the Reflections program will not need to join Delaware PTA.
- Reflections Non-PTA Requirements
- Reflections 2019-20 VIP Students Packet
- Become a VIP Member
Any questions – please contact Delaware PTA President, Julie Alvarez (email@example.com).