The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced) is a state-led consortium working to develop next-generation assessments that accurately measure student progress toward college- and career-readiness.
The new Delaware assessments are: Smarter Mathematics and Smarter ELA
Delaware PTA has partnered with the Delaware Department of Education and other stakeholders to develop the smarterbalancedassessmentguide. The guide provides an overview of the assessment, what students and families can expect and questions families can ask the school/district.
Additional Information: Delaware is a governing state with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium.
- State lead is Brian Touchette, Education Associate, Teaching and Learning Branch, Exceptional Children Resources, Delaware Department of Education
- Higher Education Lead is Carol Vukelich, Professor, University of Delaware http://www.doe.k12.de.us/infosuites/staff/ci/comstandards.shtml
The Smarter Balanced Assessments offer:
- Diagnostic and interim assessments (optional)
- Computer adaptive assessments
- Instant results, although some items may require human grading
- Reports that link directly to professional development and research-based strategies for instruction